Thursday, September 3, 2015

Standards and Pop Songs

We think of Miss America having many singers in Top 10, but you will notice that NO ONE sang a standard or pop song in Top 10 during the televised 50's (54-59), and only eight women made Top 10 with a popular song in the 60's.  If they sang it was Broadway or Opera, OR combined with another talent (dance or an instrument).  You can see from the list below how more and more women have made Top 10 with a pop song as the decades progressed.

The songs most often performed have been Stormy Weather, I Will Always Love You, and Via Dolorosa with three performances each, although several others have been performed in other talent categories (Rock-A-Bye Your Baby, Don't Cry out Loud, etc.)

And remember, before you email me that I missed someone, check a few other lists first (such as The Streisand Songbook or Combination Talents of Vocal w/dance or an instrument, etc.)

Women who sang Standard/Pop Songs in Top 10 (1954-2014)
61-Susan Henryson (California)-Top 10 & Prelim Talent-You've Got To See Momma Every Night
62-Joan Engh (Wisconsin)-1st Runner-up-I'll Be Anything You Want Me To Be
63-Cheryle Thompson (Nevada)-Top 10-My Lover Has Gone
64-Linda Sawyer (Kentucky)-Top 10-Stephen Foster medley
65-Sharon Singstock (Wisconsin)-4th Runner-up-Rock-a-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody
66-Diane Colston (Florida)-Top 10-Rock-a-Bye Your Baby With A  Dixie Melody
66-Vicki Hurd (Tennessee)-2nd Runner-up-I'm In A Pageant
68-Brenda Seal (Tennessee)-Top 10-What Now My Love
70-Mary Harum (Hart) (South Dakota)-Top 10-You've Made Me So Very Happy, Something, & Yesterday
72-Cindy Sikes (Kansas)-Top 10-Fame
72-Mae Beth Cormany (Texas)-3rd Runner-up-Misty & Come Rain Or Come Shine
73-Tina Thomas (Pennsylvania)-4th Runner-up & Prelim Talent-Take My Hand, Precious Lord
74-Donna Reel (New Mexico)-Top 10-For Once In My Life
74-Deborah Kincaid (Tennessee)-Top 10 & Prelim Talent-Once In A Lifetime, In My Own Lfietime, & This Is My Life
75-Susan Lawrence (North Carolina)-1st Runner-up-You and I (Goodbye Mr. Chips)
76-Debora Lipford (Delaware)-Top 10-It Was A Good Time (Ryan's Daughter & Liza with a Z)
77-SUSAN PERKINS (OHIO)-MISS AMERICA 1978 & PRELIM TALENT-Good Morning Heartache
77-Linda Moore (Tennessee)-Top 10-Evening Gowns Are Not For Children
78-Marcia Bell (Kentucky)-Top 10-Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
80-Lencola Sullivan (Arkansas)-4th Runner-up-St. Louis Blues
80-Doris Hayes (Washington)-Top 10 & Prelim Talent-Our Love Is Here To Stay
81-ELIZABETH WARD (ARKANSAS)-MISS AMERICA 1982-After You've Gone
81-Kristl Evans (Georgia)-2nd Runner-up-Ring Them Bells (Liza with a Z)
82-DEBRA MAFFETT (CALIFORNIA)-MISS AMERICA 1983 & PRELIM TALENT-Come In From The Rain
82-Desiree Daniels (Tennessee)-1st Runner-up-Don't Cry Out Loud
82-Dianne Evans (Mississippi)-2nd Runner-up & Prelim Talent-Stormy Weather
83-Kim Boyce (Florida)-Top 10-Rainbow Connection (Muppet Movie) & Over The Rainbow (Wizard of Oz)
83-Lynn Thompson (Kentucky)-Top 10-Yesterday When I Was Young
83-Dana Rogers (Texas)-Top 10-An American Trilogy
84-Tamara Hext (Texas)-4th Runner-up-I've Got A Crush On You
84-Kelly Lin Brumagen (Kentucky)-Top 10-Le Jazz Hot (Victor/Victoria)
84-Margaret O'Brien (Massachusetts)-Top 10 & Prleim Talent-Man That Got Away, Man I Love, & My Man
85-SUSAN AKIN (MISSISSIPPI)-MISS AMERICA 1986-You're My World
86-Marlesa Ball (Georgia)-Top 10-Amazing Grace
86-Kimberly McGuffie (Mississippi)-Top 10-Inseparable
87-Toni Seawright (Mississippi)-4th Runner-up-I'm Going All The Way
88-Carla Haig (Mississippi)-Top 10-Here's To The Band & Alexander's Ragtime Band
90-Karrie Mitchell (Colorado)-Top 10-Vision Of Love
90-Linnea Fayard (Louisiana)-4th Runner-up-Stormy Weather
91-CAROLYN SAPP (HAWAII)-MISS AMERICA 1992-Ain't Misbehavin'
91-Robin Wasson (Kansas)-How Long Has This Been Going On & It's A Miracle
93-Nancy Glisson (Virginia)-4th Runner-up-I Will Always Love You
94-Trisha Schaffer (Kansas)-Top 10 & Prelim Talent-Orange Colored Sky
94-Jennifer Makris (New Jersey)-Top 10-The Man That Got Away (A Star Is Born-1954)
94-Arian Archer (Texas)-Top 10-Almost Over You
96-Alison McCreary (Alabama)-3rd Runner-up-How Great Thou Art
96-Kari Litton (Mississippi)-Top 10-Cry
97-Erika Kauffman (Hawaii)-Top 10-God, Help the Outcasts (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
98-NICOLE JOHNSON (VIRGINIA)-MISS AMERICA 1999-That's Life
98-Deborah McDonald (Missouri)-3rd Runner-up-I Will Always Love You
98-Chera-Lynn Cook (Kentucky)-4th Runner-up & Prelim Talent-When A Man Loves A Woman
99-Yanci Yarbrough (Texas)-4th Runner-up-Come In From The Rain & Stormy Weather
00-Faith Jenkins (Louisiana)-1st Runner-up & Prelim Talent-If I Could
00-Jana Sanderson (Alabama)-Top 10-I'm A Woman
00-Jill Horner (New Jersey)-Top 10-You're Gonna Hear From Me (Inside Daisy Clover)
00-Tara Watson (Texas)-Top 10-I've Got A Crush On You
01-Abbie Rabine (Massachusetts)-1st Runner-up-Via Dolorosa
02-Scarlotte Deupree (Alabama)-1st Runner-up-Holding Out For A Hero
02-Casey Preslar (Oklahoma)-2nd Runner-up & Prelim Talent-You'll Have to Swing It, Mr. Paganini
03-Kanoelani Gibson (Hawaii)-1st Runner-up & Prelim Talent-Natural Woman
03-Marina Harrison (Maryland)-3rd Runner-up-Fallin'
03-Nicole Lamarche (California)-4th Runner-up-At This Moment
03-Kelley Scott (Oklahoma)-Top 10-Son Of A Preacher Man
03-ERICKA DUNLAP (FLORIDA)-MISS AMERICA 2004-If I Could
04-DEIDRE DOWNS (ALABAMA)-MISS AMERICA 2005-I'm Afraid This Must Be Love
04-Lacy Fleming (Arkansas)-3rd Runner-up-Last Dance
04-Danica Tisdale (Georgia)-Top 10-Please Send Me Someone to Love
04-Megan Bushell (Kansas)-Top 10-When You Say You Love Me
05-Eudora Mosby (Arkansas)-Top 10-Dream In Color
05-Mari Wilensky (Florida)-Top 10-Bridge Over Troubled Water
06-LAUREN NELSON (OKLAHOMA)-MISS AMERICA 2007-You'll Be In My Heart (Tarzan)
06-Shilah Phillips (Texas)-1st Runner-up & Prelim Talent-I Believe in You and Me
06-Melinda Toole (Alabama)-4th Runner-up-Time To Say Goodbye
06-Emily Wills (Pennsylvania)-Top 10-If I Ain't Got You
06-Kristen Eddings (Washington)-Top 10-For Once In My Life
07-KRITEN HAGLUND (MICHIGAN)-MISS AMERICA 2008-Over The Rainbow
07-Nicole Rash (Indiana)-1st Runner-up-Bandito
07-Elyse Unemoto (Washington)-2nd Runner-up-Angels
07-Leah Massee (Georgia)-Top 10-If I Had My Way
08-KATIE STAM (INDIANA)-MISS AMERICA 2009-Via Dolorosa
08-Leigh-Taylor Smith (New York)-3rd Runner-up-Say the Word
09-CARESSA CAMERON (VIRGINIA)-MISS AMERICA 2010 & PRELIM TALENT-Listen
09-Stephanie Wittler (Tennessee)-2nd Runner-up-I Will Always Love You
10-Jacquie Brown (Washington)-3rd Runner-up-Papa Was A Rolling Stone
10-Ariana Asfar (California)-Top 10-I Who Have Nothing
10-Djuan Trent (Kentucky)-Top 10-A Change Is Gonna Come
11-Jessica Pray (Iowa)-Top 10-You Raise Me Up
12-Chandler Lawson (Tennessee)-Top 10-Turning Tables
12-Mandy Schendel (Washington)-Top 10-My Wish
13-Ivana Hall (Texas)-Top 10-Fever
14-Ashton Campbell (Arkansas)-2nd Runner-up-Via Dolorosa
14-Jasmine Murray (Mississippi)-Top 10-Something's Got a Hold of Me
14-Hayley Lewis (Tennessee)-Top 10-I Who Have Nothing

Did I miss anyone?  Updates, corrections, and additional information may always be posted on Facebook on the Crowned page or by sending me an email at crownedmissa@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. 69 Susan Anton (California) 2nd runner-up [initially announced as a tie for 3rd runner-up] Get Happy & Put on a Happy Face

    ReplyDelete
  2. 58 Anita Bryant (Oklahoma) 2nd runner-up
    After Midnight When the Girls Talk About the Boys

    ReplyDelete