Saturday, August 29, 2015

Singers - The Streisand Songbook

Many women found their perfect competition song from those recorded by Barbra Streisand.  I thought it would be interesting to separate them from the Standards/Pop Songs and the Broadway lists that are being posted next.

He Touched Me has been performed by Top 10 Finalists at least four times and Don't Rain On My Parade at least three times. Of course Funny Girl, Funny Lady, Yentl, and her two Broadway albums have provided many songs for contestants over the years, but we have yet to see a rendition of her biggest hits People, The Way We Were, and Evergreen performed by a Top 10 Finalist at Miss America.

Here's the list of Finalists who have performed something that Barbra has recorded on one of her 35+ albums:

68-Brenda Seal (Tennessee)-Top 10-What Now My Love
72-TERRY MEEUWSEN (WISCONSIN)-MISS AMERICA 1973 & PRELIM TALENT-He Touched Me (Drat the Cat)
77-Cathy LaBelle (Florida)-4th Runner-up-He Touched Me (Drat the Cat)
77-Lori Smith (Texas)-Top 10-Moanin Low
78-Laurie Nelson (Washington)-4th Runner-up-Have I Stayed Too Long At The Fair
79-Deborah Davis (West Virginia)-Top 10-He Touched Me (Drat the Cat) & Maybe This time (Cabaret)
79-Carolyn Black (Pennsylvania)-Top 10-All The Things You Are (Very Warm for May & Broadway Rhythm)
80-Therese Hanley (New Jersey)-2nd Runner-up (tie)-Starting Here, Starting Now (Starting Here, Starting Now revue)
82-Bobbie Eakes (Georgia)-Top 10-Let's Hear It For Me (Funny Lady)
82-Laurie Saarinen (Minnesota)-Top 10-My Man
83-VANESSA WILLIAMS (NEW YORK)-MISS AMERICA 1984 & PRELIM TALENT-Happy Days Are Here Again
83-Suzette Charles (New Jersey)-1st Runner-up & Prelim Talent-Kiss Me In the Rain
83-Wanda Geddie (Mississippi)-3rd Runner-up-More Than You Know
84-Melissa Bradley (Ohio)-1st Runner-up-A Piece Of Sky (Yentl)
85-Honey Castro (Washington)-3rd Runner-up-What Did I Have That I Don't Have (On a Clear Day..)
86-KELLYE CASH (TENNESSEE)-MISS AMERICA 1987 & PRELIM TALENT-I'll Be Home (w/piano)
86-Tamara Tungate (Missouri)-4th Runner-up-Don't Rain On My Parade (Funny Girl)
87-Tammy Walker (Maryland)-Top 10-Don't Rain On My Parade (Funny Girl)
88-Tamara Marler (Oklahoma)-Top 10 & Prelim Talent-Since I Fell For You
91-Soncee Brown (Missouri)-2nd Runner-up-He Touched Me (Drat the Cat)(w/piano)
91-Rhonda Morrison (Texas)-Top 10-My Funny Valentine (Babes In Arms)
92-DuSharme Carter (Oklahoma)-4th Runner-up-Keepin' Out Of Mischief Now
92-Stephanie Patterson (Missouri)-Top 10-I Have Dreamed (The King & I) & If I Loved You (The Music Man)
94-Tiffany Storm (Indiana)-4th Runner-up-Papa Can You Hear Me (Yentl)
95-SHAWNTEL SMITH (OKLAHOMA)-MISS AMERICA 1996-The Woman In The Moon (A Star Is Born)
95-Tracy Hayes (Illinois)-4th Runner-up-Tonight (West Side Story)
96-Veronica Duka (Kentucky)-Top 10-Somewhere (West Side Story)
97-KATE SHINDLE (ILLINOIS)-MISS AMERICA 1998 & PRELIM TALENT-Don't Rain On My Parade (Funny Girl)
98-Julianne Hackney (Indiana)-Top 10-My Man (standard added to the film of Funny Girl)
99-HEATHER FRENCH (KENTUCKY)-MISS AMERICA 2000-As If We Never Said Goodbye (Sunset Boulevard)
09-Nicole Miner (New Mexico)-Top 7-Somewhere (West Side Story)
13-Kelsey Griswold (Oklahoma)-2nd Runner-up-Everbody Says Don't (Anyone Can Whistle)

Did I miss anyone?  Updates, corrections, and additional information may always be posted on Facebook on the Crowned page or by sending me an email at crownedmissa@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment